Sunday, October 18, 2015


Looking back, changing perspectives, finding questions from within

My first weeks on the MAPP DTP have been exciting and at times quite overwhelming.  Exciting to be engaging in such new ideas, but overwhelming to be embarking once again on education and all the formalities that accompany it and that need to be understood.  I have spent time focussing on my CV and thinking very carefully about the day to day activities of my work.  It has been a process of looking back and re-assessing the past from the fresh perspective of today.  But it has also been a process of noticing when and how, over the years, from project to project my perspective changed, the catalysts for these changes and how this changing perspective influenced my work as a whole.

My career so far has been built up of continuity highlighted with periods of great diversity.  I work with long term associates, both through my performance and teaching work and with some training methods that remain a constant (perhaps a daily ballet class, or devising for creation).   However I am always working on diverse projects with diverse collaborators and working with new teaching colleagues, all opportunities to reassess a certain perspective out of which grows new inspiration for new approaches to longer term working habits.  I feel that often deepening my learning has been a lot to do with experimenting with approach rather than in drastic changes in learning material. 

 Looking back over the past weeks in order to annotate my CV one aspect that became clear to me is that in almost every creative project I have been involved in initially as a dancer and now as my performance work becomes more diverse, a performer, developing expressivity in movement has been one focus of learning and development.  Now that I teach, this preoccupation informs my teaching.  I appreciated hearing from Suzie and Amanda about their approaches to using expressivity in dance during this months skype chat.  I have noticed that my desire has always been to learn greater expressivity but the approach to how I achieve this has changed considerably.  This change in approach may sometimes have been conscious, for example by choosing to experiment through the lens of a new technique that I have learnt or a new concept I have been introduced to, but it may also have come unconsciously as a result of a change in my perspective, a change brought about by any number of countless life experiences many of which may be quite unrelated to the point of investigation or to even dance (maybe this latter point links in with Amanda, wanting to use difficult life experiences as inspiration for her choreography?)  As my ability to communicate with colleagues has also deepened over the years I have also noticed that experimentation in approach has become more dynamic as I am much more able to welcome feedback from others and use it positively to support further development.  In this way I have noticed that changes in approach can open up new points of investigation surrounding the theme and new questions.  Even with some colleagues that I have known for years, I am surprised by their opinions and advice – I forget that they are also in a constant state of development and change.

Now that I am beginning to feel more involved in some of the ideas surrounding our study I am looking forward to the November skype meeting but also it would be great to hear from anyone in module 1 just to get an idea of who else is out there.  I am really open to any kind of contact.  Hope you have a lovely day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha,
    Its Tara, I am also just beginning the program. (I just wrote you a long message that got lost when I tried to send it so this may be a bit briefer!)

    Glad to hear from someone on 'Module One'. My first was skype discussion was with students on module two and three. It was really interesting to hear their thoughts and just the way in which they are thinking and its also great to hear from others at the same point in the program as me (so thanks for making contact). The other students were fabulous in helping me to feel at ease and commenting on the fact that at the beginning and different stages of the program they have also felt lonely. It seems this is a natural part of the process. The skype chats seem to be of real help in reducing this feeling as well as the blogs so roll on November

    I am looking forward a skype chat with Adesola on Tuesday to begin to discuss the Accreditation of (prior) Learning. I have begun to read both blogs and suggested reading material and am feeling both excited and apprehensive. Its the timeline for work that worries me most at this stage as I don't really know how much work is involved. Also in order for the UK to receive my work by the deadline, it will have to be posted by 18th December!

    Great to hear from you and look forward to being in touch
    my blog address http://dancetara.blogspot.co.uk

    I look forward to being in touch in the future

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Samantha and Tara,

    I too just began Module One. I missed the October 4th skype meeting. Things are progressing reasonably well for me. Reading feels challenging (especially the online resources): I seem to have a greater sense of ease engaging in tasks that are tactile (which makes sense because I am a dancer / performer and dance teacher.)
    I will also have to submit for Module 1 on December 18th as I am based in Canada.

    I appreciate your comments on diversity and experimentation of approach, and their positive connection to furthering one's development.

    I would be curious to read more of your thoughts around expressivity. What is it? How does it manifest? What are the tools for developing it?
    My experience as both performer and teacher have lead me down a path where I tend to supplement the word 'expressivity' with 'intention'. As a performer I ask myself often "what am I working on?" or "what is my intention?" or "what am I trying to accomplish?" I believe that this work around intention facilitates specificity of presence, both as work is being created and in performance, which I find interesting (and might be similar to this expressivity that you describe... 'presence', that is...).
    As a teacher my aim is to offer strategies (both technical and interpretive) so that the students may answer the intention-related questions as they may appear in today's choreographic works and creation processes.
    ....
    Looking forward to connecting in the future.
    ~alanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha! I missed the Skype discussion! I am apparently not a genius when it comes to figuring our the time difference between where I am and England. SO --- do you think you will write a blog that addresses some of my questions re: expressivity and intention? I am quite curious to know what you think. Was there much discussion today around drafting up AoLs? .......I am really hoping to make the next Skype chat: connecting through these forums seems so positive for the momentum of this MA work. :)

    ReplyDelete